Thursday, April 15, 2010

I have a love/hate relationship with gaming.

Currently, I have a 3 month old xbox 360 elite paired with a new 32'' Panasonic LCD TV that sits on a new glass stand. It'sa nice system. I have about 5 games (Dead Rising, Fear, Orange Box, etc...) that go with the system. I love to game and I'm an Ex PC Gamer. But, I'm starting to feel guilty when I game anymore. I'm starting to feel that gaming is starting to become a waste of time. Maybe it's my age. I'm 38 years old. Maybe it's because of my responsibilities. I work full time. I don't have any children and I'm not married. I do live on my own. So I put my system in my local paper for sale. I'm selling the full system at a very good price so I should get a few calls. I'm starting to regret what I did because deep down inside I really don't want to get rid of my system. Ugg.. I have a love/hate relationship with gaming. What should I do? Can I maintain a decent life while still being a gamer? Oh, I was gaming on average 20-25 hrs per week. I have a love/hate relationship with gaming.
As a 25 year old gamer persuing a graduate degree, I can tell you that if you want to be successful in gaming and in life that its best to limit your game time for when you have nothing else to do. I packed up my controllers during this past semester while I was taking my classes so that I wouldn't feel distracted. Being single does allot you more free time so I wouldn't get rid of all your systems. Just don't feel like you HAVE to game when you get a new game. I am JUST now starting to play Kingdom Hearts 1 that was given to me as a present about 5 years ago (or however long its been since it was released). Its not that I didn't like it, I just didn't have any time to play it and rather than force myself to play, I just put it aside for the day when I would have some extra time. Since classes ended at the end of last week, I have an enormous amount of free time for a few weeks. As you get older, you should view gaming like your other entertainment past-times: there when you need it, forgotten when you don't.I have a love/hate relationship with gaming.
Ditto!! I'm 49 yers old (and about to turn 50), but I won't give up gaming. I find it a great release for stress and the normal doldrums of everyday routines. Don't get me wrong; gaming has its' place, and that should be when all the work is done and all the responsibilities melt away after a long day. But, asa member of a family that grew up with the Commodore 64, Atari 2600 and 5200, NES and then the Genesis, it's become second nature to me. I gave up console play about 9 years ago (except for the occasional play with my daughter and my oldest son/daughter about the same time) for the pc and there hasn't been any looking back ever since. I see nothing wrong gaming as long as it's in moderation and it doesn't interfere with work, family or home responsibilities. You'd be surprised how many gamers there are (pc and console) over the age of 40 out there. In addition, after retiring from the Department of Defense 3 years ago, you wouldn't believe how many gamers I've had for clients that are over 50 and contract me to build mid to top of the line gaming systems. It's a medium of entertainment and it just isn't going to go away. You can either embrace it or or let it slip through your fingers. Also, it keeps my mind sharp and my reflexes in top shape.
well my brother told me that average gamers nowadays are anywhere from 30-40 years old so i wouldn't worry too much......i mean hey there are 60 year olds playing wii

No comments:

Post a Comment