Thursday, April 15, 2010

Gamespot reviews DO have an effect on how you judge a game after youv'e playedit

A perfect example of this is, in my opinion, True crim NYC.I never read a review for it, got it for christmas and loved it...almost as good as GTA 3 in my opinion.But i can guarantee if i had seen the 4.5 score gamespot gave it, then played it, i wouldnt have liked it. Gamespot reviews DO have an effect on how you judge a game after youv'e playedit
No, you would have liked it, but you wouldn't admit it. The faults of the game are there, how much they affect you, that's subjective. That's why every gamer must develop his/her own criteria and stick to them. Reviews are just a helpful source of info, if you personally think you'll like a game, you just have to give it a shot.Gamespot reviews DO have an effect on how you judge a game after youv'e playedit
Sure they do, but not for all games. I admit I might have looked a bit worse onRed Steel than I should, but for most games the reviews don't matter. If reviews started to affect me a lot, I would stop watching reviews.
Actually, I think it's more psychological than anything else. For example, if I never heard of games like Neverwinter Nights or read the review, I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much as if I did read the GS review on NWN.
[QUOTE=''mufcbarlow1''] But i can guarantee if i had seen the 4.5 score gamespot gave it, then played it, i wouldnt have liked it. [/QUOTE]Sadly, that makes you a follower. Unfortunately, a lot of people here seem to be the same way. A lot of people here claim to only play AAA games. Well, AAA status is an opinion, which should be SOLELY YOURS. People here go and blindly follow these review numbers and are playing games they don't enjoy. Why is it that there's always a thread about how Halo isn't that good, or Metal gear isn't that good? Because people go and buy the game because its supposed to be good and receives high marks, but turned out not to be enjoyable to certain people. And that's ok. Like someone earlier said, you really have to come up with your own criteria for what makes a game fun for YOU.
Reading a poor review could make you more consious about seeing the flaws of the game so I could see how it might slightly effect your enjoyment but only very little. How much fun you have with the game is soley on you.
I don't ao along with review scores too much. If there is a game that I really want I will get it regardless of score, however I do find myself normally agreeing with GS scores. Well at least in the same ball park, whether Isee it before r after I play the game
Way back when Mario Kart 64 was all the rage, I used to play it and loved it. Years later, I saw the low score it received on GS. To this day, that has to be the only game on GS which has received a score I thought was quite unfair. That game deserved a lot more than the 6 point whatever it received.
If the flaws didn't bother you the first time you played it, the GameSpot review shouldn't change that significantly.
I know I might be alone here but I read reviews after I have bought and played the game. I know it sounds backwards but after playing games for a good length of time, I have a pretty good idea of what I like. I do like to read reviews to see if the reviewer and I have common ground for what we both think of the game. I get a little humor out of it when I find that the reviewer and I have different perspectives on a game. It just reinforces the thought that people will see a game differently and that the best judge of whether or not a game is good or bad to you is yourself.
Some people just follow the crowd though. If most people were to say that a game sucked, more people would agree even though thy might actually love it. Then again there are those that don't. Good On you.
That's completely true! I once really loved ''Simpsons: Hit %26 Run''... then I read the review Official Playstation 2Magazine UK gave it, with a dissapointing 5/10 score. It changed my opinion permanently.
As much as many of us don't want to admit it, we ARE followers and we DO care what others think ( at least 80% of us) if Gta 3 were given a 7.5 there is a chance that I would simply treat it as a rental and an OKAY game, but since it has rave reviews I love the GTA series, I liked spiderman 2 and thought it was a 9/10 game but after reading that most reviews were at the 6/7 range I didn't really enjoy it (though to be fair I was 5% through the game when I made my '9/10' decision) But there are games in which I just did not like and to my surprise got rave reviews (Halo) and after playing again, my decision was still the same. I believe when a reviewer points out a problem in a game that you sub-consciously know is there, it 'opens your eyes' in a way.
[QUOTE=''nopalversion'']No, you would have liked it, but you wouldn't admit it. The faults of the game are there, how much they affect you, that's subjective. That's why every gamer must develop his/her own criteria and stick to them. Reviews are just a helpful source of info, if you personally think you'll like a game, you just have to give it a shot.[/QUOTE]well put sir. i think reviews just affect the way you think when you go out to buy a game, instead of seeing if you bought a well rated game because your already past the point of no return unless you return it which i guess it's really just past the point of deciding to buy it and before the point of deciding whether to keep it or not
[QUOTE=''chrisx999'']That's completely true! I once really loved ''Simpsons: Hit %26 Run''... then I read the review Official Playstation 2Magazine UK gave it, with a dissapointing 5/10 score. It changed my opinion permanently.[/QUOTE]So if you had read one of the other positive reviews you'd still like it?

No comments:

Post a Comment