Sunday, April 11, 2010

Have you ever cried over a game?

I'll admit... I have. Before you laugh yourself silly and call me obsessive, let me explain myself.They are not tears of grief, or of shame, or of sadness. They are tears of sheer frustration. Wait, this still sounds ridiculous.Well, picture this- being a mile ahead of all other rally drivers in a 20 minute race. All the way. Until, 23 ft from the finish line, your car gets stuck between a tree and a rock. You cry quietly as the 6 opposing cars drive by, laughing in your faces.Well, I tell a lie- you don't cry quietly. You don't even cry outright. Here is a step by step process for such an annoying scenario:The first attempt: laugh it off. ''Well, that is frustrating.''The second attempt: this game kinda sucks. ''For God's sake, not again.''The third attempt: this game sucks a*se. ''For f***'s sake, not again!The fourth attempt: F*** OFF! ''F*** OFF!''The fifth attempt: throw the controller across the room. Sit quietly for 3 minutes. Try again.The sixth attempt: the profanities are very imaginative at this point, and cannot be repeated. Face red with anger, broken TV screen and Playstation 2 destruction across the floor of the bedroom, you cry, as you realise that hundreds of pounds worth of equipment is now worthless. All because of that little Ford Fiesta that was sexually attracted to rocks and trees.Does this ring any bells? Or am I alone in this mad world?PS- I tell another lie- I haven't broken anything. I thought it would help justify my actions if I wrote it though.Have you ever cried over a game?
There's this area in Xenogears, you have to jump all over the place and swing on ropes and if you misstep in the slightest you fall all the way to the bottom and you have start all over.The dog ran into the bedroom and wouldn't come out because of my screaming. Have you ever cried over a game?
Some of the latter challenges on Super Smash Bros. Melee...
I never cried and probably never will, I think is stupid to cry over a game
Lmao. Wow that sounds just like me. This has happened to me many times during any game really i've played and gotten frustrated with. But before throwing stuff across the room, i stop and remeber and say to myself '' now remeber, if you break this. You'll have to go buy a new one..'' then i just don't touch for another hour, and attempt again.
You post is so close to describing what happened to me not long ago whilst playing DIRT that its scary lol. I smashed my pad...spent 10 minutes fixing it (wooo!). Tried again to do the stage...failed in a rediculously infuriating way anf totally obliterated the pad beyond repair. Then I cried because I just had to let all of the emotion out.
(i didnt play dirt for 3 weeks)
I came very close to crying while playing Two Worlds - not because it really got to me, but because I can't recall many times in the past ever feeling so much frustration and disappointment with a game (read me review for more).It was so sad tears nearly came to my eyes.
I shed some tears at the end of ICO and The Longest Journey.
Cod4 on veteran! especially the last part of chernobly, and the epilouge (i didnt cry but i wanted to). Also in Mass Effect SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!When I had to decide whether to kill Kaiden or ashley, and i killed kaiden. It was sad, ok i never cryed but it stired some emotions.
The end of Chrono Triger. Seeing everyone going to their respective time zones was beautiful.
Don't feel alone there buddy. I used to do the same with racing games. It was the long process of getting mad, getting really mad, just sitting there for minutes, trying again, going insane, then almost in tears in frustration. Yeah.
As for actual emotion in games and such, the Longest Journey Trilogy, Mass Effect, and Bioshock come closest to making me cry. I've never been very frustrated before, I'm pretty good at keeping my cool.

My little brother, however, will flip a **** if he dies more than twice. Like this one time, he was playing Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits. He was fighting the final boss and had been for two hours, was within 10 turns of winning, and the power flickered. God's wrath did not compare.
I might get teary eyed, either because I've been staring at the screen too long, or something dramatic happens (I care about characters in games a bit too much - I almost consider them real people). For example, (Resident Evil 4 spoilers)I got teary eyed from when the helicopter guy from resident evil 4 died. THEY WERE GOING TO GO HAVE BEERS LATER, but that bastard with the RL had to ruin it. More like tears of vengeance.
[QUOTE=''Tom1243'']Cod4 on veteran! especially the last part of chernobly, and the epilouge (i didnt cry but i wanted to). Also in Mass Effect [/QUOTE] Oh man that was the hardest part in the whole game, you expect me to hold off that many people with just 5 claymores? The 5 C4 were only good for escaping, just put them behind ya, and when the **** hit's the fan, you detonate em and run like hell, McMillan will be fine lol.Oh, and the only games that piss me off from frustration is racing games man, and there was also this one mission in 'the warriors' that was pissing me off because it was bieng really buggy, but you had to rescue your gang members from cops, and take them to this one point without bieng detected, but the game wouldn't let me drop them off 1 at a time, I had to get them all at once, Oh my GOD that was the biggest pain in the ass.Also, I've never 'cried' due to a characters death, but one of the most angering was in Resident Evil 4 for me.[spoiler] When Mike the helicopter pilot get's killed, I got up from my seat and was just like 'S***! MIKE!!!! NOO!' So getting to stab saddler in the eye multiple times was very satisfying. [/spoiler]
When I was younger I would cry over a game I couldnt get through...Very embarrassing to admit...
In terms of frustration I did ''cry'' a little a couple days ago when trying Doom and Doom II on Nightmare... it just completely kicked me in the balls. I thought it was going to be difficult but not THAT difficult.

And if you want frustrating racing games you should try playing a 4 hour endurance race in GT4 and lead the entire time to only in the end lose because you didn't time the pit stops correctly. That doesn't even call for tears or anger... you just sit there staring at the screen with a blank stare on your face not saying a single word.

Oh yeah, I was watching a show called 'rise of the video game' it was a special on discovery, and they said that a video game developers goal is to make you feel like the characters are real, and not like these clones that you laugh at when you run over them on the streets in GTA. Basically, if a game can make you cry, they've done their job!Which is why games like Half-life 2 series make people actually feel...emotiones with the characters, because they don't feel like these stupid little worthless cartoons that you could care less about, you actually feel attached to the characters.Another game that pissed me off, Half-Life 2 Episode 2 ending.[spoiler] man, Eli and me have been through some memorable times, and the combine just take him away like that! DAMN YOU!!!! DAMN YOU TO HELL YOU BIG NASTY BUG LOOKING THINGS! [/spoiler]
For actual emotion, I would say the ending of Mega Man Battle Network 3
I have when a character died i liked in a game a few years back i cant remember which one i think it was one of the FFs.
I had oly once tears of frustration in my eyes. Thanks to the x360 version of CoD2 on Veteran. There was one mission in british campaign where your last objective was german hq. That building had three respawns in it. German troops where spawning like every 20 seconds. You had to kill first wave, dash to the first floor, reload wepon, kill 2nd wave going down the stairs, dash up the stairs, kill respawned 3rd wave, take the point, kill 4th incoming wave from the master beedroom, take over the bedroom. The whole process is max 2 minutes long. I was trying to beat that 2 minute part of the game for 3 or 4 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment