Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Gaming PC is not that expensive, Seriously

Since it is the season to be shopping, I thought to update the ''not so expensive'' gaming PC that will surf, rip, and burn at awesome speeds and would not cost you your remaining kidney.Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 532 $50.00HD: Western Digital Caviar 500GB $100.00RAM: Team Elite 2GB $47.00MotherBoard: GIGABYTE GA-P35 $100.00CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 $190.00DVD Burner: LITE-ON Black 20X DVD $35.00Vid Card: PNY VCG88512GXPB $270.00Assuming you have a copy of XP, and a keyboard and mouse, you can have this awesome machine for the very low price of $790.00Gaming PC is not that expensive, Seriously
thing about PCs is once you have your main rig built, you can get by for a very long time off one at a time upgrades. a gig of ram here, LAST years insane graphic card at 15% of its original cost there, yadda yadda, its not that expensive. pc gaming costs are overrated and are only valid if you ride the bleeding edge of hardware.Gaming PC is not that expensive, Seriously
PC gaming is as expensive as you make it. Technically, you could buy a computer that could run Half Life, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Thief: The Dark Project, Call of Duty, Age of Empires II, StarCraft, Total Annihilation, The Longest Journey, and may other games from the 1997-2001 era and still have an incredible amount of fun. And you wouldn't have to drop more than maybe $400.
[QUOTE=''pharomarc''] Since it is the season to be shopping, I thought to update the ''not so expensive'' gaming PC that will surf, rip, and burn at awesome speeds and would not cost you your remaining kidney.Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 532 $50.00HD: Western Digital Caviar 500GB $100.00RAM: Team Elite 2GB $47.00MotherBoard: GIGABYTE GA-P35 $100.00CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 $190.00DVD Burner: LITE-ON Black 20X DVD $35.00Vid Card: PNY VCG88512GXPB $270.00Assuming you have a copy of XP, and a keyboard and mouse, you can have this awesome machine for the very low price of $790.00[/QUOTE]Well assuming I dont, lets round it off to abot $1000. Now how much more expensive would it be if I couldnt build one myself?
or i could just not have the hassle of learning how to put that long list of jargon into a shiny metal box without setting fire to myself and get a console
[QUOTE=''my_name_is_ron'']or i could just not have the hassle of learning how to put that long list of jargon into a shiny metal box without setting fire to myself and get a console[/QUOTE]
Problem is, with a console, you do not get as wide variety of games nor the ability to use it for really anything else besides gaming. And the Geek Squad at Best Buy can put all your computer parts you buy together for under $100 IIRC.
you can go to one of the manycustom PC builder websites like ibuypower.com or cyberpowerpc.com, andit will add arround $200 to the cost.
There is a reason why PC gaming is more popular in poorer regions of the world while console gaming is more popular in the richer parts.
I think my PC in total has cost me 600$.2.4Gig processor1.256 gigs of RAM50 gig hard driveNVIDIA 6600 graphics card (256)Im not a PC gamer, so I dont need a jacked up PC.
[QUOTE=''foxhound_fox''][QUOTE=''my_name_is_ron'']or i could just not have the hassle of learning how to put that long list of jargon into a shiny metal box without setting fire to myself and get a console[/QUOTE]
Problem is, with a console, you do not get as wide variety of games nor the ability to use it for really anything else besides gaming. And the Geek Squad at Best Buy can put all your computer parts you buy together for under $100 IIRC.[/QUOTE]i find the selection of console games to be much more varied than pc. where are the racing, platform and sports sims on pc?the pc does have many more and much better strategy, fps and mmorpgs though, unfortunately these don't agree with my gaming tastesbesides, i'd still rather spend my money on one or two consoles and enjoy the next 5 or so years safe in the knowledge that i don't have to do anything in terms of improving the hardware in my console to meet the system requirements for new games.
Still a lot more than I'd be willing to pay.And how many people really have a copy of Windows XP? My computer came with Windows pre-installed, and I think most people are in the same situation unless they've already built a PC.
[QUOTE=''LordAndrew'']Still a lot more than I'd be willing to pay.And how many people really have a copy of Windows XP? My computer came with Windows pre-installed, and I think most people are in the same situation unless they've already built a PC.[/QUOTE]It's been a while since I last bought a computer with a pre-installed OS, but I remember them always coming with some kind of software recovery CD, which had, among other pre-installed programs, Windows itself on it. Is that not still the case these days?
[QUOTE=''Tiberius''][QUOTE=''LordAndrew'']Still a lot more than I'd be willing to pay. And how many people reallyhave a copy of Windows XP? My computer came with Windows pre-installed, and I think most people are in the same situation unless they've already built a PC.[/QUOTE]It's been a while since I last bought a computer with a pre-installed OS, but I remember them always coming with some kind of software recovery CD, which had, among other pre-installed programs, Windows itself on it. Is that not still the case these days?[/QUOTE]Retail purchased PCs allow for creating your own recovery discs or performing a recovery from the hardware splash screen right off the HDD. I'm glad to see more people coming to their senses about the affordability of PC gaming. What always used to get me were that the same people who griped about PC gaming costs were the same ones who bought a PS3 at its $600 price point.
[QUOTE=''UpInFlames''] There is a reason why PC gaming is more popular in poorer regions of the world while console gaming is more popular in the richer parts.[/QUOTE] Piracy?
[QUOTE=''smerlus'']Piracy?[/QUOTE]It's a factor, sure, but what I was getting at is that PC gaming is the most cost-effective. First off, it's a multi-purpose machine that can be used for work, school, and entertainment and people generally have an easier time justifying a PC purchase rather than a console which is still viewed as a toy. Hardware prices aren't anywhere near as high as most people claim, you can get a very good PC for a small amount of cash and most PC gamers won't start pulling their hair out if the can't max out every game that comes out. Also, PC games are a lot cheaper than console games (this is especially true in Europe), their prices fall a lot faster and generally they offer a lot more lasting value. Piracy is a factor, but let's not pretend as if piracy doesn't affect console gaming as well.
ARE YOU KIDDING? YOU CAN GET AN AWESOME GAMING PC JUST FOR 450 DOLLARS! No need for that Case either, they should already have one. They can get a PENTIUM D WITH JUST 2 CORES, AND CAN STILL HAVE AWESOME PERFORMANCE!!!Your shooting way too high man, I like the way you think, but above 600 is just too much for people. All at once that is.Sorry for the caps lock, and yes, that PC will last way longer then a ps3 and 360 combined, but hell, that 790 was too much really. I got more then half that stuff and my price combined was like 560 dollars. I've had my PC for ages now, and I'm never changing.
See, I think you guys are missing the point here. PC gaming isn't expensive for you because you know what you are doing. If I was going to get a computer, I would have no idea where to start, where to look for good deals, and what I am getting for money. I would have to ask somebody else to do everything for me, or do a lot of research on the side. You guys just don't realizehow confusing it isbecause you actually understand what's going on in the world of video cards and stuff.I actually want to get a new one and I have about $1000 that I'm willing to spend, but all the places around here are telling me it takes $2000 to play the latest games. I know that is overpriced, but it's either trust some business out only for my money or some nerds on the internet, neither of which I want to put a $500+ investment into based on their word. The other thing... when the $600 PS3 came out, it sold pretty bad after the initial wave during launch. $600 is too much just to earn the right to buy games to play if the hardware behind it doesn't justify it. Sure, you can say you useyour PC forother stuff, but most people have a PC that can do everything they need it to besides playing the latest video games.
Maybe it's just me, but I don't like having to install drivers and do a lot of configuration to get a game to work. Buying a graphics card, installing it, then finding out it isn't supported for some weird reason really gets my goat.
It is not purely a matter of raw cost, it is a matter of cost VS time spended in it. My 360 cost me about $5 per hour of playing so far, so it is relatively expensive, yet borderline and hopefully getting better over time...my computer cost me a few penny per hour.My DS is definitely the most expensive of the bunch, I am not about to consider buying another portable thingy.
That's cheap, yes, but on X-Play they had a special all about PCs and PC games. Morgan Webb showed how to coem up with the ultimate gaming PC under 4000 $. I'd say that PC would be more reliable and last longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment